In 2011 we launched Outrun Hunger (a 5k race for charity) to raise money to feed 100 families during the holiday season. 100% of the race registrations/donations (excluding online transaction fee's) went towards that goal. In addition, a number of local area businesses donated their time, products and/or services for the event.
2016 marked our sixth annual charity race, with the support from our community, our expectations were exceeded yet another year. In fact, it was a record year for our special race. Not only did we feed more families than ever before, we had the largest turnout of participants.
- 456 racers registered from our community
- 90 volunteers from our community and Grace Community Church (gotgrace.info)
- 67 donors graciously gave
- 27 sponsors supported our race
- $17,500.00+ was raised for Hospitality House in Commerce and Open Door Outreach Center in Waterford
- 877+ families in the Lakes Region will now be able to enjoy a hot meal at Thanksgiving or Christmas
Exciting results, but our job isn't done. According to our partner organizations, approximately 1,271 familes and 3,151 individuals walked through their doors in need of food during November and December 2016... the "demand" often overwhelms the "supply."
We pray that Outrun Hunger continues to be a charitable event that is both fun for you AND meaningful for our community. We’d love to have you join us next year, Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 10:00am. In the meantime, you can “like” us on Facebook to stay connected with the Outrun Hunger family, (facebook.com/outrunhunger).
Click here to view the amazing effect that Outrun Hunger has had upon the Lakes Region.
Click here to view Outrun Hunger's interview on Local Channel 4.
Kari Cotter, Race Director, Outrun Hunger
Mark Erikson, Lead Pastor, Grace Community Church